Although I am halfway around the world from McGill, group projects continue to be the bane of my existence. Fortunately I only have one more week of class (and 129893284 projects and papers) so the end is in sight!
I could tell you about my wonderful time spent at the library this past week but as exciting as that may sound (and oh is it ever exciting) I'm going to tell you about others thing that I did (and they're centered around fashion and shopping, quelle surprise)
This past weekend I went an exhibit at the Musee des Arts Decoratifs called Histoire ideale de la mode contemporaine - basically an exhibit on fashion from the 1970s and 80s. The clothing was spectacular: there were the most amazing collections on display from Yves St Laurent, Cacharel, Kenzo, Karl Lagerfeld for Chloe, Issay Miyake, Comme des Garcons, Yohiji Yamamoto, Jean Paul Gaultier, Azzedine Alaia, and other designers I've never heard of. I really liked Lagerfeld's first collection for Chanel, the draping of Madame Grès, the fantasy and drama of Thierry Mugler's gowns, Issay Miyake's plastic bustiers, the architecture-like pieces of Sybilla, and the whimsical dresses by Christian Lacroix. As always, photography was prohibited but the link to the exhibit is here if you want to find out more: http://www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/francais/mode-et-textile/expositions-70/actuellement-447/histoire-ideale-de-la-mode/
Since I hadn't been there in a while, I went to check out the vintage stock at Come on Eileen. They had a bunch of new stuff and I walked away with a white Marni sun dress, an emerald silk tank top, a silk Celine tshirt, and a black brocade skirt that would fit right in to any episode of Mad Man. Yay for more credit card exercises, sorry Mom. Too bad there's a gorgeous Christian Lacroix jacket there that would fit you perfectly so we'll be going back when you're here!
On Sunday I went to the Marche de Puces, which is a giant flea market of antique furniture, books, clothes, jewelry, knick knacks...basically antique everything. It's in a slightly sketch area (Saint Ouen in the 18e) and at the beginning of the market there are tons of stalls and people selling cheap shoes, souvenirs, fake bags, and really really ugly sequined clothing. It took us a while to get out of district tacky to find the actual antiques but once we did oh lordy it was amazing. and overwhelming. There was so much to look at; the stalls go on forever. I wish I had a (permanent) apartment in Paris so I could decorate it with beautiful antique furniture from the Marche de Puces. We spent a couple hours at the market and I got some scarves and antique keys but no way did we cover the whole thing so I will definitely need to go back. Here's some photos I took of random things I thought were neato:

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire