mardi 23 février 2010

Emma Encounters the French Police or How - contrary to popular belief - Not Everyone Loves Journey


I had been in Paris for a month and Bailey and Novack were in town so I thought it was just about the right time to venture to the Eiffel Tower. We wanted to see the light show and were looking to not spend 120090 euros for dinner so we hit up Monoprix for some Parisian delicacies.
Baguette and brie? Check.
Jambon? Check.
Macaroons? Check.
Boxed wine and champagne? Check and Check.
We headed to the Parc Champ de Mars right behind the Eiffel Tower, found a nice bench, and sat down to enjoy our feast and the surrounding views. One box of wine and half a champagne bottle later and we were just loving life. We were in one of the best cities in the world and just saw the Eiffel Tower light up and sparkle. So obviously the next course of action was to sing Hakuna Matata. Then Can You Feel the Love Tonight. Then I start to bust out the opening lines of Don't Stop Believin' and it was all uphill from there. We were belting the chorus when we looked to the left and see three French policemen approaching us so I quickly stashed the champagne bottle behind the bench. The policemen came up to us and asked for our ids and where we are from. They told us that they could hear us from across the park. The following key conversations ensue:

Policeman 2: Is this your champagne bottle?
All three of us: Nooooooooooooo

Policeman 1: Are you allowed to scream and yell in Canada?
Bailey: In parks, ya.

Emma: Qui chantait le plus? La femme ou les hommes?
Policeman 3: La femme
Emma: Merde

Emma to policemen 2 and 3: Voulez-vous un macaroon?

Novack to anything policemen 1-3 ask him: Soy de Espana. Hablo espanol. No comprendo.

Eventually they gave us back our ids and let us be. They could tell that we were harmless and merely over-enthused students, just happy to be in Paris.
Even though I can see my mom shaking her head while reading this and I cannot wait to receive her email detailing respect for French law, it was a hilarious story, one for the memory books and definitely one for the blog, and I'm glad to have experienced yet another French public service.


How could you not like them? They are so pretty.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire